It is the dog owner’s responsibility to keep their pet under control and to prevent their dog from injuring others.
Each year, thousands of people are bitten by aggressive dogs. Often children are the victims of these attacks. In extreme cases, dogs have even been known to kill people.
If you or someone you know has been bitten by a dog, you should clean the wound immediately. If the skin has been penetrated or if there is bruising or pain, you should seek medical attention as soon as possible.
Many factors come into play in dog bite cases. Factors may include:
- The dog’s prior behavior and whether this was the first time the dog has ever bitten someone.
- Whether you provoked the dog.
- The breed of dog (some breeds are banned in certain cities).
- Whether the owner knew or should have known that his dog is aggressive.
- Whether the dog was allowed to run free.
Under Ontario law, the owner of the animal is liable for the injuries caused by their animal. With the help of our experienced and skilled lawyers, we can assess your claim and inform you of your options for recovery. We will seek to obtain the maximum compensation for your physical injuries and the emotional distress you have suffered.
If you or someone you know has been injured as a result of a dog bite or animal attack, please contact us at (416) 306-3817 immediately for a free legal consultation.